*NAMI "Family-to-Family" Mental Health Education Course*Name: *NAMI "Family-to-Family" Mental Health Education Course*Date: March 23, 2017Time: 6:00 PM - 8:30 PM CDTWebsite: http://www.namims.orgEvent Description:
*NAMI "Family-to-Family" is a free 12-week mental health education course designed for family members and friends caretaking an ADULT with a mental illness such as major depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, PTSD, panic attacks, OCD, borderline personality disorder, and co-occurring brain and addictive disorders. Taught by trained volunteers, the class offers education and support for families and friends of people living with a mental illness. The curriculum, developed by psychologist and family member Dr. Joyce Burland, provides a unique family perspective as well as a time for sharing and healing. Topics covered include symptoms, medication/treatments, strategies for handling crisis and relapse, coping skills, communication techniques, self-care, advocacy, etc. This course provides knowledge and skills that enable family members to cope more effectively with what is going on in their family. You are invited to:
* Attend with other family members just like you in a confidential setting
* Gain insight into how mental illness affects your relative or loved one
* Take an eye-opening look inside some of today's current brain research related to mental illness
* Learn how families can become advocates for better treatments for their relatives and loved ones
* Learn about mental illness medications available and the latest treatment options.
* Learn to cope with worry and stress; learn to focus on care for yourself as well as your loved ones.
* Join other individuals like you who have gained information, insight, understanding and empowerment.
Classes will begin March 2, 2017 and will be held weekly on Thursday evenings from 6 - 8:30 p.m. in the River Region West Campus Conference Rm., 1111 N. Frontage Rd., Vicksburg. Pre-registration is required. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 601-630-9470 (leave message) for more information.
*NAMI = National Alliance on Mental Illness.